- 2# boneless beef shortribs dipped in flour
- 1 carrot peeled and cut into 6 pieces
- 1 onion peeled an cut into 1/8s
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 stalks celery cut into 2″ pieces
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- S and P to taste
- Enough stock, wine or water to cover- about 1-2 qts depending on size of pan
- In a dutch oven or other thick oven proof pan, heat oil on medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion, carrots, celery and brown until caramelized- about 15 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In same pan, add shortribs and brown on all sides for about 10 minutes total. Add back the veggies, cover with broth.
- Bring to boil.
- Cover pan with foil and bake in slow oven 225 degrees for 5 hours. This is important as it is what makes the meat so tender.
- Remove from oven and strain off juices and reserve. Discard veggies.
- Put meat into BBQ sauce and marinate a couple of hours.
- In the meantime, reduce pan liquid until you have 1 cup.
- Barbeque shortribs until hot on inside and a nice glaze on outside-about 5-10 minutes. Place on platter.
- Mix reserve stock with 1/2 cup marinade and heat. Pour over short ribs.