This is a family recipe featured in the Savoring Dry Creek Valley cookbook.
Ingredients for cornmeal crust:
- 1 c. yellow corn meal
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 c. cold water
- 2 c. boiling water
Preparation: In a medium saucepan, mix corn meal with cold water. Add boiling water and salt. Cook over low flame for 10 minutes.
Ingredients for meat filling:
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green or red bell pepper, chopped
- minced garlic, to taste
- 1 or 2 tsp. olive oil, if needed
- 1 can tomatoes, diced (15 oz.)
- 1 can whole kernel corn (15 oz.) or equivalent fresh or frozen
- 1 can pitted black olives
- 1/2 c. grated cheese (any kind)
- 2 Tbsp. chilli powder, more or less to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
Brown ground beef in frying pan. Add chopped onion, green pepper and garlic. Add a small amount of olive oil, if needed. Add salt and pepper to taste. Then add tomatoes, corn, olives and grated cheese. Mix all together. Add chili powder and mix well. At this point you can either mix in the cornmeal or put meat mixture in a 9×13 casserole dish and top with cornmeal and add additional cheese on top.