This is a Food and Wine Affair Recipe by Dan Berman, now applying his food expertise on the Big Island of Hawaii.
- Nalle Chardonnay, 1/2 cup
- 1 lb potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 1/2 lb yellow onions, sliced thin
- 1/4 lb leeks, white part only, sliced thin
- 1 bay leaf
- 3-4 black peppercorns, crushed
- 3 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 3 cups cream
- 4oz. plus 2oz. marinated articoke hearts, chopped (fresh can be substitued)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbl extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 lb unsalted butter
- Small handful of chives
- Salt to taste
Melt butter in a heavy sauce or soup pot and add potatoes, onions, leeks bay leaf, peppercorns, and chicken stock. Add Nalle Chardonnay. Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer. Simmer covered until thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently. Add cream and 4oz. articokes, olive oil, and bring back to a boil and then simmer fro 5 minutes. Remove from heat and roughly puree so there is still texture in the soup. Add chives, finely chopped articokes, juice of 1/2 lemon, whisk together, adjust seasoning and serve with Nalle Chardonnay.